Expecting a baby is definitely a wonderful time in the life of any representative of the fair sex. But it is often fraught with various anxieties and complications. One of these is varicose veins during pregnancy. The growth of the fetus puts a lot of stress on the woman's legs, the vessels sometimes do not stay, and this unpleasant disease occurs. Not only does it spoil the aesthetic appearance, but it can be quite dangerous to health and even life. More about this in the article.
Main causes of pathology
Varicose veins are quite common in pregnant women; every third woman faces it.
There are several reasons for the appearance of varicose veins during pregnancy:
- Blood composition changes, fibrinogen increases during pregnancy. It is "responsible" for blood viscosity. This means that the blood becomes thicker, it is harder to move through the vessels and normal blood flow is disrupted. Therefore, the veins do not hold and dilate. Also, with an increase in fibrinogen, the likelihood of blood clotting increases.
- Increased progesterone in the blood is an unfavorable factor for blood vessels. The fact is that this hormone reduces the tone of the uterus, protecting the body from miscarriage and premature birth. And along with that, the tone of the blood vessels decreases.
- Blood volume almost doubles during pregnancy, this increase leads to the fact that the vessels can not cope with the unusual volume of blood and are deformed.
- As mentioned above, fetal growth creates increased pressure in the vessels.
Furthermore, a woman may have indirect adverse factors for the development of varicose veins during pregnancy:
- hereditary factor;
- rapid weight gain;
- insufficient presence of fiber and vitamins in the diet of pregnant women;
- low mobility.
If a mother suffered from varicose veins during pregnancy on her feet, then her daughter is likely to have this problem.
Symptoms of varicose veins during pregnancy
At the onset of the disease, a woman may experience no symptoms at all. Then spider veins and nets appear. But few people pay attention to them. But when swelling of the feet appears in the evening, as well as night cramps, many are already alarmed.
Then the veins become visible to the naked eye, they "emerge" on the surface of the skin of the feet. This not only spoils the look, but also raises concerns. After all, it could be even worse! Indeed, blood clots can form in varicose veins, and this already threatens the life of the woman and the fetus.
it is impossible to completely cure varicose veins during pregnancy, you can get rid of the pathology only after birth.
Furthermore, with varicose veins in the legs during pregnancy, worry about:
- standing weight;
- problematic when walking (sometimes the feet swell so much that it becomes difficult to walk);
- withdrawal leg pain.
Of course, many pregnant women dream of getting rid of these symptoms. For this purpose, you should contact a phlebologist or surgeon, he will tell you what to do.
Most common species
There are not only varicose veins in the legs during pregnancy.
There are also varicose veins:
- rectum (better known as hemorrhoids).
Varicose veins are the most common varicose veins in pregnant women and hemorrhoids. The latter brings a lot of trouble to a woman - pain during bowel movements and blood in the stool. If you do not start timely treatment of varicose veins during pregnancy, then there may be major problems, such as: venous bleeding. To prevent this from happening, you should contact a doctor in a timely manner. He will show you how to treat varicose veins during pregnancy.
Currently, there are many remedies for varicose veins for pregnant women. But it is very dangerous to describe them yourself. Because many of the drugs have serious contraindications. The doctor will prescribe an appropriate treatment that will not harm either the mother or the baby.
Therapy for varicose veins in pregnant women usually consists of oral medications and ointments for external use. But pay attention: some of them can not be used in the first trimester.
You can also use traditional medicine prescriptions to treat varicose veins in pregnant women. But you should consult your doctor first, because many of these prescriptions can be harmful to the baby's life.
Popular methods of warfare
Here are some helpful traditional medicine recipes for pregnant women:
- Uthull molle.They can rub the areas of the feet affected by varicose veins, or they can be taken orally, but only in a special dose. You should not add more than a teaspoon of vinegar to a glass of water and drink it once a day. Within a month of such treatment, positive changes will appear.
- Horse chestnut.This plant is always in the first place among the treatment of varicose veins. Because it perfectly strengthens the vascular wall, relieves swelling, relieves cramps and weight on the legs. In agreement with the doctor, you can rub the veins with horse chestnut tincture and drink it inside. You should take the solution twice a day, a certain number of drops, which will be prescribed by the doctor. After ten days, you should take a break. Then the wait can be repeated.
- Green tomatoes.it is necessary to cut the tomato in half lengthwise, then attach it to the injured leg. It needs to be held until a burning sensation appears. Some tie them on their feet all night, wash them in the morning with cold water.
- Kalanchoe Tincturecan be used to rub your feet, this should be done daily for three months.
- Potatoes.it is necessary to grate some raw potatoes on a coarse grater, place the particle on the fabric and make a compress. Wrap tightly, remove after 4 hours.
- Pelini.Grind wormwood flowers until soft, dilute with milk and place on your feet. Tie tightly, remove the compress after 2 hours.
Medical gymnastics also helps with varicose veins. There are some exercises for pregnant women that can reduce the occurrence of this disease.
Here are some of them:
- Sit in a chair, make circular leg movements with each leg in turn. Repeat 10 times.
- Lying on your back, carefully lift your legs and make foot movements, imitating cycling.
- On your feet, stand on your toes and roll on your heels. Repeat 10 times.
- Walk in place, without lifting your socks off the floor, for 2 minutes.
Walking up the stairs is very rewarding. It is also important to walk a lot in the fresh air - walking normalizes blood flow. After straining, you should lie on your back with your legs raised 20 degrees.
Basics of Prevention
A good prevention and treatment of varicose veins is the use of compression stockings. The attending physician will help you choose the look and feel.
There are several types of compression socks in total:
- knee rises;
- elastic bandages.
Varicose vein pantyhose for pregnant women are used for varicose veins in large areas of the legs, from the feet to the thighs. For small varicose veins up to the knees, knee lifts are used. Elastic bandages, which are fixed to the foot and then bandaged up to the thighs, also help successfully.
The main treatment for varicose veins during pregnancy is to prevent thrombosis and ensure good blood circulation.
Knitted clothes should be worn in the morning, preferably without getting out of bed. Before that, you can apply a healing cream. Then you need to lie down for another ten minutes to normalize blood circulation. You can wear it all day, removing it before bed.
A woman, after becoming pregnant, should take the following measures to prevent varicose veins:
- Sleep on the left side at night. This has a beneficial effect on the fetus and the mother's vessels.
- Walk more in the fresh air. When it moves, the vessel wall is strengthened, the blood is saturated with oxygen, and the composition of the blood improves. Walking prevents blood clots.
- Normalize food, a pregnant woman's diet should contain all the necessary minerals and vitamins. You can also take vitamin complexes.
- Do special exercises for pregnant women.
- Avoid sitting and standing positions.
- Make sure the pregnant woman does not gain weight too quickly.
- Wear comfortable shoes with low heels.
- A special bandage should be used to support the abdomen.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol under any circumstances.
- useful is useful for pregnant women to visit the pool.
- Shower with contrast strengthens blood vessels very well. It should only be taken in the morning. Hot baths, baths and saunas are prohibited during pregnancy.
- Rest more with your legs raised.
And you should definitely follow your doctor's recommendations, otherwise the unpleasant consequences of varicose veins can not be avoided.
Consequences of disease development
If you do not treat varicose veins, then quite serious complications are possible. Some of them even threaten the life of mother and baby.
Here are some complications of varicose veins during pregnancy:
- Thrombosis. Blood clots can form in varicose veins. They sometimes break down and move through the dishes, which is very dangerous.
- pulmonary embolism. This is a serious and life-threatening condition when a blood clot travels to the lungs, impeding blood circulation and oxygen supply. There are no preliminary symptoms, which makes it difficult to diagnose the disease.
- Thrombophlebitis. A blood clot in a vessel causes inflammation. In this case, redness and swelling of the limb are evident. From the symptoms, severe pain and itching in a certain place are disturbed.
- Trophic ulcer. With varicose veins and diabetes mellitus, such a complication occurs. In this case, not only the skin is inflamed, but also the bones and tendons. The process takes a long time, various infections join with it.
This is why, to avoid such terrible complications, it is necessary to notice the disease in time and start treatment. It is important to follow all the prescriptions of the treating physician.